NO EVENINGS OR WEEKENDS! SUMMERS OFF!
Smile New York Outreach is looking for a Registered Dental Hygienist to provide in-school dental care to the underserved children of New York. We are devoted to the ideal that all children deserve high-quality dental care. Our innovative program treats kids in the familiar surroundings of their schools, bringing much needed dental care to kids who may not otherwise have access. We proudly serve children in the 5 boroughs of New York City as well as Westchester County.
Each team has a licensed dentist and at least two other staff members which may include a dental hygienist, dental assistant and/or x-ray technician. Services that are provided include: dental examinations, dental cleanings, fluoride treatments, sealants and any necessary digital radiograph. In some areas, restorative services such as simple fillings, pulpotomies and baby teeth extractions may also be provided.
Registered Dental Hygienist (RDH) Qualifications:
• Must hold active RDH license
• 1+ years’ experience as a Registered Dental Hygienists (RDH)
• Valid State ID, reliable transportation and a willingness to travel locally is a must
• Works well with others (both children and adults)
• Ability to work well in fast-paced environment; organized and detail-oriented; able to multi-task
• Must be able to carry up to 50 lbs.
• Current CPR (BLS) certification
• Able to walk several flights of stairs on occasion as many schools are without elevators
Registered Dental Hygienist (RDH) Responsibilities:
• Assist with oral health management of all patients-being a team player at all times
• Verify the identity of patient using name and date of birth prior to administering treatment, place your initials on the medical chart indicating that verification was made.
• Obtain oral health assessment of each patient [new-baseline; follow-up patient]
• Review medical history and other pertinent oral health information
• Provide oral hygiene services including dental prophylaxis scaling, sealant application and fluoride application consistent with accepted best practices and standards.
• Provide dental assistance as directed by the dentist
• Provide oral health education and individual counseling to each patient according to known oral health care practices (e.g. tooth brushing, flossing)+)
• Document provided dental services on the patient’s chart.
• Daily travel to and from school sites
Smile New York Outreach In-school Dental Program Offers:
• Evenings, weekends and summers off!
• Working a school day schedule (about 6 – 7 hours); on average between 8:00 A.M. – 3:00 P.M.
• Unique work experience and flexible scheduling
• Excellent benefit packages (varies by location and position)
• Full and part time positions
• Competitive compensation
• State-of-the-art portable dental equipment
• Latest technology & digital radiography
General Working Conditions:
This position entails situations of prolonged sitting and standing, as well as working in tight spaces. While performing the duties of this job, the employee must have the ability to lift 50+ pounds and assist with unloading, set up, break down, and reloading equipment from mobile van into school and back to mobile van. This position requires the dexterity and motor skills to handle dental instruments, x-ray equipment, sterilizers, air compressors and other equipment as needed to perform job tasks. The employee must follow safety guidelines to protect themselves and patients from infectious diseases and associated risks with the x-ray machine. The work locations will require travel (up to 2+ hours on occasions). The work environment is fast paced, requiring adaptability to interact with children and adults.
Who We Are
Smile New York Outreach is a leader in providing in-school dental care to the children of New York. The founders saw a tremendous need among underserved school aged children in New York who did not have easy access to dental care and who often suffered from poor oral hygiene, tooth decay, pain and associated medical problems. Knowing that many parents could not take their children to the dentist due to issues including time off from work and transportation challenges, they sought to bring the care to the need. Today, through its dental partners, Smile New York Outreach provides preventive and restorative care to children throughout the State of New York.
Tooth decay is the most common, and preventable disease among children, more common than asthma. In fact, each year, over 51 million school hours are lost due to oral health related issues.
Smile New York Outreach affiliates with New York State licensed dentists, hygienists and dental assistants who use state-of-the-art portable equipment to provide all services onsite, directly in the school. Classrooms, auditoriums or other school venues are literally transformed into fully functional dental offices for the day. Our expertise, and our highly qualified staff, enables us to bring exceptional care with minimal disruption to the normal school routine.
Given the ongoing lack of access for many underserved children throughout New York, our services are in great demand and we are always looking for caring, compassionate professionals to join our team and play their part in making a difference in the lives of today’s underserved children.
Rewarding Work. Competitive Compensation. Smile New York Outreach.
Smile New York Outreach is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status.
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 0-5
- dress code option-1